The mission of Sandburg PTA is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. We collaborate with the school to encourage students to become confident, independent, responsible and respectful learners.
Sandburg PTA Facebook Page
Please join us on Facebook! We’ve created a group for Sandburg Families where we can connect and stay informed. The primary focus of this closed group of Sandburg parents is to share upcoming Sandburg D205 events with each other. Join us on Facebook at Sandburg Families.
PTA EXECUTIVE BOARD FOR 2020-2021
President: Alison Dondlinger
President-Elect: Patti Berner
Treasurer: Krista Nunemaker
Membership: Kelly McDermott
PTA EXECUTIVE BOARD FOR 2021-2022
President: Patti Berner
President-Elect: Tracy Ries
Treasurer: Krista Nunemaker
Membership: Kelly McDermott
- Available Committee Positions for 2021-2022
- 8th Grade Activity Day (chair or co-chairs needed)
- Outdoor Beautification - Chair Needed
- Great Donation Day - Representative Needed
- York Scholarship - Representative Needed
- Trivia Night - Chair or Co-Chairs Needed
- Reflections - 1 Co-Chair Needed
In 2019, the 8th grade class spent two hours cruising aboard a private yacht, the Anita Dee II, on Lake Michigan. They enjoyed a buffet lunch, beverages, music and dancing. $50 and permission slips were due 3 weeks prior to event, on May 8th.
Event timing: Spring, usually end of May
- Plan the event
- Book & pay boat company (+ transportation as needed)
- Secure permission slips and medical waivers for students
- Obtain parent payment
- Organize volunteers for post-cruise
- Organize Yearbook signing at school for after the event
Help keep our main entrance planters and Outdoor Classroom looking healthy and inviting all year long! Past projects include work on planters, flowers/plants, benches, reading garden, etc.
Timing: Fall planning. Maintain all year.
- Review school in the fall and decide what will need to be updated and/or maintained
- Attend to and replace as needed throughout the year
Reflections is a National PTA arts program offering students the chance to explore artistic creativity and earn recognition for their artwork. They will interpret a theme (example “Let Your Imagination fly”) Areas included are dance, film production, writing (poem, story, and song composition), photography and visual arts.
Timing: Fall. Completed by the last Friday in October.
- Meet with the D205 Reflections committee and learn theme
- Promote program
- Provide sign-up form, rules, etc. through PTA Website and newsletter, flyers, Scouts, and teachers, (esp. art, gym and music.)
- Send reminders about the deadline
- Collect artwork
- Organize a judging meeting
- Turn in artwork and names of those advancing to D205 Head Chairperson
- Purchase prizes for participants (i.e colored pencils and notebook) and/or organize a pizza party (size dependent)
COMMITTEE POSITIONS FOR 2020-2021
Thank you parents for chairing - much appreciated! Not chairing and want to help? Please contact the chairperson(s) directly.
6th Grade Fall Social: Anne Zimmer & Karen Fitzer
6th Grade Spring Social: open
7th Grade Fall Social: Katerina Hickey & Nicole Krzak
7th Grade Spring Social: Jacky Oviedo & Julie Vacko
8th Grade Fall Social: Sarah Makinney & Alison Dondlinger
8th Grade Promotion Party: Jen Beal & Jen Moskal
8th Grade Activity Day: Mari Saenz
All School Dance: Linda Davies
Career Day: Patti Berner
Dance Class: Laura Gibson (7th) & Mari Saenz (8th)
Directory: Lara Stavridis
Great Donation Day - PTA Council Rep: Dena Fasheh
Hospitality: Tracy Ries
Outdoor Beautification: Suzanne Wilcox
REACH - PTA Rep: Amy Kehoe
Reflections - PTA Council Rep: Patti Berner
Scholarship - PTA Council Rep: Rachel Olson & Tracy Milefchik
School Beautification: open
School Picture Day: Lara Stavridis
School Supplies: Audra Stanley & Lynnea Brown
Science Olympiad: Julie Vacko
SERG: Rachel Lappe
Spartan Store (6th, 7th, 8th): Nikki Dolvig
Spirit Wear: Rachel Stockard
Summer Recreation Open House: Julie Vacko
Teacher Appreciation: Amy Kinsella & Shawna Roubitchek
Trivia Night: Jacky Oviedo & Julie Vacko
Volunteer Coordinator: Patti Berner
Walk Through in August: Julie Vacko
PTA Website Administrator: Anna Wick
2020-2021 Sandburg PTA Membership Information!
Please help keep our traditions alive at Sandburg by joining the PTA.
The PTA sponsors many great events for our students, including:
- Welcome Back to School Events for 6th, 7th and 8th graders
- 6th grade new student gifts
- All School Dance
- Spirit Wear
- Faculty/Staff Appreciation
- 8th Grade Activity Day and Promotion Party
- 7th & 8th Grade Dance Class
- Student Financial Support
- And much more!
Joining the Sandburg PTA is easy!
Credit Card: Pay on-line at the PTA MemberHub store. Credit card payments are subject to a service fee.
Check: Download the form, print and fill out, and then mail or drop off with check payment to Kelly McDermott at 178 E Fremont Ave.
PTA Membership fees have remained unchanged for many years, despite the increase in fees owed to the National PTA organization. All PTA programs at Sandburg are funded by Fair Share Fees and additional donations. We are striving for 100% membership this year! Thank you in advance for becoming a PTA member!
For questions contact Kelly McDermott.
Sandburg PTA School Directory
Sandburg Middle School PTA offers our School Directory electronically to paid PTA members. We use Directory Spot to offer our information through an app.
The app is very secure and only paid PTA members will have access. More information on the security features can be found here.
Each new user will receive an email from Directory Spot stating that you have just been added as a user for Sandburg PTA. See image below. You can then log in with your authorized email address and will set your password.
If you already have a password, you do not have to do anything. Log in using your existing username and password and the new Sandburg Directory will be available to you.
If you are a new Directory Spot user, click the “set password” link in the email to set your password, download the DirectorySpot app as instructed and log in to begin using.
If you are a user on more than one Directory Spot directory such as Sandburg Middle School and York HS, you should now see a new icon on the bottom right of the app. It's labeled "Directories.” From there, simply select the school you want, toggling easily between the directories.
The PTA administrator can update Directory Spot at any time throughout the year, so if you have changes in your information, please contact Lara Stavridis at email@example.com.
It’s as simple as that!
Directory Spot Information
Here are a few features you can expect as well as answer to that all important question, "But what if I still want a hard copy?"
- The app will work on both Android and Apple phones.
- Directory Spot provides updates in "real time" so when an address is updated on the master copy, it will automatically update on everyone's devices so you will always have the most current content.
- You can download the directory on a laptop or computer so you will have access to the directory that way as well.
- You can also print a complete, hard copy of the directory from your computer so you have this option if you would prefer it.
- For those who do not have computer, phone, or printer access, the PTA will be happy to print a copy for any families who fall into this category.
- It is secure, password protected, and Directory Spot takes precautions on their end to protect their users.
- Teacher names, email addresses and other helpful information like this will be available via the app.
- You will be able to send an email to a parent or teacher directly from the app.
We hope you find this new way of offering the directory helpful. Other schools and PTAs we know of have done this same thing with great success. As with any change, we know that some may not be fans of this option and we welcome your feedback. It's easy to print a hard copy and we can print one for those who are unable to do so on their own. Going electronic will help us conserve resources as well as offering the easiest way to do updates etc.