PTA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
- 5th Grade Socials
- 6th Grade Socials
- 7th Grade Socials
- 8th Grade Socials
- All School Dance
- Book Fair
- Career Day (8th Grade)
- Dance Class (7th and 8th Grade)
- Spartan Store
- Spartans Giving Back
- School Supplies
- Science Olympiad
- Spirit Wear
- Summer Recreation Open House (SROH)
- Teacher Appreciation
- Trivia Night
During the 2022-2023 school year, the 5th Graders from Field will be at Sandburg while the new Field School is being built. Sandburg is excited to welcome the 5th Graders to our school and they will be having their own Fall and Spring Socials, just like the other grades!
2022 5th Grade Fall Social:
- Date: TBD
- Time: TBD
- Location: TBD
- Details: This event will be planned by the PTA's 5th Grade Parent Committee
2023 5th Grade Spring Social:
- Date: TBD
- Time: TBD
- Location: TBD
- Details: This event will be planned by the PTA's 5th Grade Parent Committee
2021 6th Grade Fall Social:
- Date: Friday, September 24, 2021
- Time: 5-6:30 pm
- Location: Sandburg
- Details: This is a drop-off event for 6th graders only. Stay tuned for volunteer and donation opportunities.
2022 6th Grade Spring Social:
- Date: April 30, 2022
- Time: 6-8 pm
- Location: Oakbrook Aquatic Center
Food will be served. All 6th graders are welcome! Please bring any swim gear and towels needed. Those who don’t want to/can’t swim are still welcome to come socialize! We are also looking for 4-6 parent volunteers to chaperone the event. Please email Kelly Asseff if you are interested in helping or have questions. Thank you!
2021 7th Grade Fall Social:
Save the date!!
- Date: Friday, September/October TBA
- Time: 5-7 pm
- Location: Sandburg
- Details: TBA
2022 7th Grade Spring Social:
- Date: Friday, April 15 (no school)
- Time: 1-3 pm
- Location: Sky Zone Elmhurst
It's a Sky Zone Glow Party! Sandburg 7th Grade will have the whole park to themselves (Sandburg 7th graders ONLY, no siblings please.) Wear neon or white to get your glow on!
- The cost is $5 per student (Sky Zone socks included). Payments are taken online at the MemberHub store ONLY.
- SkyZone online waiver MUST be completed in advance
- Questions? Please contact Andrea O'Connor.
Students are invited to join their classmates for a private boat cruise luncheon charter aboard the Anita Dee II, on Lake Michigan in Chicago, IL:
- Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2022
- Cost: $52 per student (The cost of the trip is waived if your student has an approved Financial Assistance Waiver or qualifies for Free/Reduced Lunch for the 2021-22 school year.)
- Timing, Transportation and Location: Students should arrive at school at their normal time, and will be bused from Sandburg to the boat ride which goes from 11 am to 1 pm (Anita Dee II, on Lake Michigan in Chicago, IL) and back to the school after the event. Upon their return, they will participate in a yearbook signing event at school and will be dismissed at the normal time.
Parents/Guardians - To Do by May 4
- Forms: Print and fill out the Permission Slip and Medical Waiver Form; return to your student's FLL teacher by May 4. Ask your FLL teacher for a copy if you do not have access to a printer.
- Payment: Payment ($52) must be made through MemberHub by May 4.
- Yearbook Signing Party Volunteer and/or Donate: Visit the Yearbook Party sign-up genius.
- Mask Mandate: Students must agree to comply with any and all Covid-19 policies that apply at the time of the event. The Anita Dee is regulated by the USCG and currently MASKS ARE REQUIRED to board and while on the interior decks of the yacht unless eating or drinking. They are NOT currently required on any of the outside areas of the vessel. Any changes to this policy will be communicated to students and families.
- Chaperones: The boat cruise event is chaperoned by Sandburg staff and the PTA co-chairs of the event. No additional parent volunteers are needed.
- Yearbook Signing Party: When students return from the Boat Cruise there will be a yearbook signing party at Sandburg. We are asking for volunteers as well as item donations for the event. To volunteer or donate items, and for more info please visit the Yearbook Party sign-up genius. If you have questions about yearbooks, please see the Yearbook FAQ.
- Additional Info: See the 8th Grade Activity Day FAQ Sheet, or visit the Sandburg PTA website.
- QUESTIONS? Please email parent organizers Julie McNichols or Lara Stavridis with any questions.
8th Grade Promotion - May 26, 2022
Promotion will take place on Thursday, May 26. Key details:
- Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2022
- Location: York High School
- Student Arrival Time: 3 pm
- Promotion Ceremony: Starts 4 pm, duration will be about an hour, please leave York by 5:15 pm
- Tickets: Are not needed and there is not a limit on the number of guests allowed to attend, bleacher seating is first-come first-served
See Mrs. Fehrenbacher's Letter about 8th Grade Promotion for all of the details and who to contact if you have questions or special requests.
The last day of school for 8th grade will be Thursday, May 26. On this day, the 8th grade students will participate in an honors assembly and promotion practice activities at Sandburg Middle School. Students will be dismissed at 11:30 am. Bus service will be provided. 8th grade students will not be in attendance on May 27. (Note that 6th and 7th grade will have school on May 27 with a 1:30 pm dismissal time.)
8th Grade Promotion "After-Party" - May 26, 2022
We are looking forward to celebrating the achievements of your 8th grader on promotion day! The PTA is pleased to host a promotion after-party for the students which will include will include a DJ, photo booth, snacks and dancing!
- Date & Time: Wednesday, May 26, 2022, 8-10 pm
- Cost: Free
- Location: River Forest Country Club in Elmhurst
- Dress Code: Students must follow the River Forest dress code policy (no denim, no sweatpants and no midriff-baring tops)
- RSVP: Please RSVP at the Evite link. Please be sure to RSVP so that we know how many students to expect and can be ready for everyone. Your student will also receive an addressed paper invitation to the event in their FLL classroom.
- Volunteers: The event will be chaperoned by Sandburg parents. Please consider volunteering or contributing to the event's entertainment, prizes and refreshments using the After Party sign-up genius. Thanks!
- This is a drop off event only. Unfortunately, capacity does not allow for outside friends or family to join.
- A parent will need to sign students in and out of the party. Carpooling is encouraged.
- Questions: Michelle Pike, Erin Stratton or Julie Vacko.
Students can enjoy an evening rocking out to their favorite songs, eating ice cream, checking out the selfie station, and being with friends. This will be a great event so hopefully all students can make it! The dance will be held at Sandburg and is a drop of event from 7-9 pm on Friday, May 6, 2022.
Parents/Guardians, please email or text committee chair Linda Davies if you can volunteer to help. Volunteers will be needed to check in students, manage the food and monitor the dance floor. Thank you in advance!
Sandburg’s Scholastic Book Fair is coming! Our 2021 Annual Book Fair will be held online and in-person in the Sandburg Library. For all of the details, please see the Sandburg Library's Book Fair webpage.
On Monday, May 23, 2022 the 8th grade students will have the opportunity to hear from many Sandburg parents about their careers. The day kicks into high gear with an assembly speaker, followed by six 15-20 minute chats and Q&A with the speakers of the student's choice, taking up the entire afternoon. Be sure to ask your student which careers they found most interesting and why! This is a PTA supported event and is co-chaired by a PTA member and the 8th grade Counselor. Special thanks to our Student Council who will be aiding our speakers before and during the event. Questions? Contact Patti Berner.
Every year, our eighth grade students participate in our annual Career Education Day. On this day, students are given the privilege to hear presentations regarding a variety of careers. Professionals from all industries and areas of expertise present their own personal career opportunities to our students. In previous years our list of professions included firemen, police officer, author, teacher, VP of finance, animal trainer, construction worker, attorney, librarian, chef, engineer, marketing and product development, emergency doctor, nurse, FBI agent, NFL security, veterinarian, Chief Operating Officer, and small business owner.
Note: Registration is now closed for this class.
Class dates are: March 4, 11, 18, 25 and April 8, 14, 21, 29 of 2022
7th-grade class meets from 7:00-8:15 pm (6:45 pm Drop Off)
8th-grade class meets from 8:30-9:45 pm (8:15 pm Drop Off)
Additional volunteer opportunities have been added to the SignUp Genius. Click here to volunteer.
*Bring a water bottle
*Arrive 15 minutes early
*Drop off in FRONT, pick up in BACK
*Dress nicely, but gym shoes allowed (details below)
*Cell phones will not be allowed during class time (details below)
Our instructor, Andy Fuzak, has a very strict no cell phone policy that we must follow. Students will not be allowed to have cell phones with them during class. Please ensure your student has a safe place to store their phone during class such as a purse or zipped jacket pocket. Students will not have access to lockers. It is best to leave valuables at home.
Dressy attire is required for students (slacks, tucked-in collared shirts, dresses, skirts, etc.) Sneakers are permitted and encouraged. Jeans and sweatpants are not allowed.
Questions? Please email Laura Gibson.
Spartan Store 2021-22
- See the Spartan Store Menu (last update 11/30/21)
Ongoing Spartan Store hours are:
- Tuesdays, 8 to 9 am and 3 to 4 pm
- Thursdays, 11am to 1pm
The Spartan Store gives students the chance to trade in their Spartan Bucks for fun prizes and gifts, gift cards to local stores & restaurants, and fun passes (for example, being allowed to tell a joke on morning announcements).
Thank you Laura Fischer for all of your hard work organizing and updating the Spartan Store for 2021-22! Also, thank you to the Fischer family for donating the awesome new decals for the Spartan Store made by Angel Fancy on Spring Road.
Each student will need a PE Uniform.
Starting Fall 2022, all three middle schools will be using a new PE uniform vendor and have a new uniform design. The D205 Beck’s Bookstore eCommerce website is open and ready to take uniform orders. Sandburg will "grandfather" old uniforms in, so your student can wear either uniform design for the 2022-23 school year.
In addition, make sure your student has PE appropriate shoes each day. (Either wear gym shoes or keep some at school in the PE locker.)
The 1st Day School Supply Store is OPEN for the 2022-2023 school year! Orders will be taken through July 1.
Note that the kit(s) you should order depend on what classes your student is signed up for.
Also, everyone needs to have a PE uniform (details to the left) and make sure your student has PE appropriate shoes each day.
For those who enjoy shopping, or for your reference, see the school supply lists for each grade.
In addition to what is noted on the lists, everyone needs to have a PE uniform (details to the left) and make sure your student has PE appropriate shoes each day.
Illinois Science Olympiad is a non-profit organization devoted to improving the quality of science education, increasing student interest in science, and providing recognition for outstanding achievement in science education by both students and teachers. ISO accomplishes its goals through classroom activities, research, training workshops and the encouragement of intramural, district, regional, state and national tournaments. ISO tournaments are rigorous academic interscholastic competitions that consist of a series of team events, which students prepare for during the year. These challenging and motivational events are well balanced between the various science disciplines. There is also a balance between events requiring knowledge of science concepts, process skills and science applications.
ISO has divided the state into ten regional competition sites. Each site hosts both middle school and high school competitions on the same day that run simultaneously. Approximately 24 schools send their team(s) to a local site to compete in these events on a Saturday in February or March. Each event is evaluated according to the scoring criteria that is published in the coaches' manual. The top students in each event receive medals according to their rank. The scores of the team in each event are then combined for an overall score for the team. At the end of the day, the top percentage of the teams then advance to the State Tournament. The scenario begins again there and the top teams advance to the national competition.
For more information about Science Olympiad, please visit the National Science Olympiad website at http://www.soinc.org/background.
The Sandburg Spirit Wear Store is closed. For items ordered in April, we are estimating a mid-May delivery to the kids at school. Contact Rachel Stockard with any questions.
Thank you for supporting Sandburg Middle School with your purchase!
Sandburg Middle School Trivia Night will be held on Saturday, April 23, 2022 at 7 pm at the Knights of Columbus. Tickets are $40 per person and will include light snacks; drinks will be available for purchase at the bar. Gather your team members now (8-10 people per team), and sign up your team at the MemberHub Store. Then, start thinking of your team name and theme - prizes will be awarded for best team table decorations! We are also looking for volunteers to help on the committee and for the evening. If you are available to help or have any questions about the event, please reach out to Julie Vacko or Jackie Oviedo.